Tuesday, April 21, 2009

A unique variation on the "Panda Face" Ginger.

Asarum maximum is what catapulted me in seriously pursuing rare Chinese woodland perennials and earlier this week, boy, was I treated to something spectacular.

This is an imported specimen of A. maximum I have in my garden/nursery, Landwave Gardens, that flowered for the first time this spring.

So here's what a typical form looks like growing and blooming at the UW Botany Greenhouse (one of my most favorite places in Seattle). Usually, the petals are rounder:



THEN, just the other day, I discover THIS:



Now, I don't know if this is going to be stable, but there are a few buds yet to open, so we'll see.


See, if I can teach and convince peers my age about just how freakishly cool and awesome this is, I'd be totally stoked. For now, it's just in my garden awaiting more admirers.



Riz

2 comments:

  1. Did this turn out to be stable? It's really fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, it didn't flower this year, but another bud that opened on the same plant last year did NOT have the lobed petals. =(

    ReplyDelete