Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Take a trip to the Desert Northwest: Ian Barclay






Drought tolerant gardening has always been a popular topic and amongst my friends and colleagues here in the Pacific Northwest, I couldn't be more thrilled, and relieved, that there's a "Next Generation Gardener" out there FOCUSED on such an endeavor by constantly seeking out plants that thrive in our Mediterranean climate (wet winters, dry summers) Ian Barclay has been a name I've heard time and time again. It wasn't until he surfaced at several local plant sales just a few years ago that I got a chance to chat with him and learn about his nursery, The Desert Northwest.


Euphorbia rigida.
Ian specializes in both native and exotic species that thrive with very little water once established. He's definitely one of those gardeners who like to push the boundaries in terms of plant hardiness. He was part of the whole movement to integrate plants like palms, eucalyptus, and a lot of Southern Hemisphere plants such as New Zealand Flax, Grevilleas, Chilean Monkey Puzzle and flame flower (Embothrium coccineum).

He and his family currently reside in Sequim, WA where he's built poly tunnels to house his ever-increasing and evolving collection of plants and the wonderful plants he propagates to offer to other avid gardeners.







Drought tolerant garden at Cistus Nursery in Sauvie Island, OR

This coming weekend, he's got his FIRST OPEN HOUSE that I'm hoping to attend. His selection is remarkable and I could definitely learn more about "xeriscaping" and being more aware of low-water use plants in the world. Being a plant collector, I'm sure he'll also have a mix of random things that will get my plant juices just flowing as well! I encourage you all to attend!

Arctostaphyllos (Manzanita) with with spiky Nolina nelsonii growing at the Miller Garden, just north of Seattle.

Another reason to visit Sequim this coming weekend, there's these other drought tolerant plants the region is known for!




LAVENDER FESTIVAL!!!


R


2 comments:

  1. Lucky you! I wish I were going to be able to go. Take lots of pictures...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is brilliant! Now I need to buy one just so I can plant it!

    ReplyDelete