Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Visiting a garden for charity

Renowned container designer Tina Dixon asked me to publicize an event she's holding in her garden in Bothell. While I've been getting a little tired of these endless request to promote all these various events (there's really WAY too many, it's not that I don't want to!!), the cause was one that I am quite familiar with. With Val Easton already posting something on her blog, I figured I'd just cut and paste the details here:


"Tinus herbivorous." A garden art piece made of powder-coated metal by artist Wil Case.



"Here's your chance to help out a worthy charity while hanging out in one of the Northwest's finest gardens....Tina Dixon and Paul Stredwick are hosting a garden tour and party at their Bothell garden on Sunday, August 15, 2010. Both events are fundraisers for Hopelink, a regional non-profit which provides vital services, including housing, daycare, food and transportation for people going through especially difficult and transitional times in their lives.

You can tour the garden from noon - 5 p.m. for a donation of $50 per person. Knowledgeable docents will be on hand to answer questions; be sure and allow plenty of time because the garden is filled with work from local artists, unusual plants, and the gorgeous containers Dixon is known for.

The evening event is a casual party from 6 PM – 8 PM, and will include catered hors d'oeuvres, drinks, and live music by the Chromatics. The donation for the evening party is $150 per person. Every dime from both events will go directly to Hopelink.

Register or donate online or by calling 425-897-3703. The Dixon/Stredwick garden is located at 22433 Meridian Ave. S. in Bothell; parking is one block away at Frank Love Elementary School, 303 224th St. S.W., with a shuttle bus for the evening party. No on-site parking."


Now, not everyone can afford $50 just to see a garden, but I hope people can still make a small contribution to organizations, such as Hopelink, that helped my family when we first arrived to the USA over 20 years ago. Starting a new life in a new country was very difficult for us as so much went on that, to this day, I don't really understand. But, amidst the turmoil and chaos around me as a little kid, I would go with my mom or sister to get a bag of canned goods, bread, some produce and the occasional sweet treat or plush toy for me. I didn't think much of it until I learned what these organizations were for and what they tried to do for the community.

So, Tina is preparing for, what I hope, will be a large turn-out of supporters. Her work and whimsical garden is certainly a treat, but what an awesome way to support an organization you truly care about and THE BEST PART is 100% of everything raised will go directly to Hopelink! Way to go, Tina!

Now, it's things like this that give me motivation and inspire me to be a better gardener; the fact that I can create something that people will enjoy and also create awareness towards a cause/causes that personally mean a lot to me is tremendous!

Private Gardens are meant to be private, but special occasions such as this call for an open gate, a few refreshments, some pretty awesome plants, and a kind, generous and giving heart.

Do contribute and take part if you can! I promise I'll have a most kick-ass garden where I would absolutely do the same thing by giving back to a cause that helped us get to where we are and will continue to do so for thousands of other individuals and families in need.



R

No comments:

Post a Comment