Monday, February 1, 2010

A new Hellebore, but why am I not that excited about it?

Last summer, we got this Hellebore as a sample from Skagit Gardens and since I leaked that we were one of a handful of Botanic Gardens to have this rare hybrid between Helleborus x hybridus and H. niger, many avid gardeners including Jim Waddick and Graham Rice were very interested in learning more about it.

So here it is in peak bloom at the UW Botanic Gardens' Center for Urban Horticulture:

Hellebore Walburtons Rosemary



While it looks to be quite vigorous and very prolific, there's something kind of plain and boring about it. It could easily be just another pink Helleborus x hybridus seedling. The size of the flowers are nothing to rave about and the color is not really all that compelling.

I also read that its sterile so any attempts to "improve" it might not be possible. It took some time to prove that it is, in fact, a true hybrid between the two species. So, I dunno. Maybe I might grow to appreciate it, but I'm not all that enthused to tell everyone to go buy it.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, it is kind of feh. Washed out Pepto Bismol pink, who gives?!

    ReplyDelete