Thursday, May 14, 2009

Dan's New Book:

So many of us plant geeks are eagerly anticipating the launch of Dan Hinkley's new book in his "The Explorer's Garden" series. "Shrubs and Vines" follows up his highly successful, "Rare & Unusual Perennials".

The Explorer's Garden: Shrubs & Vines  cover


While I'm looking forward to seeing what he's been rushing to pull together these past few years, I just have to say, "What's with the cover?!" This and the paperback version of "Rare & Unusual Perennials" have his photo of Dan that, I don't know, just doesn't quite capture the grandeur of who he is as a plantsman and the incredible work over the years; the impact of what he's done for the horticultural world.

I think it's great that Dan is right there so people can see who he is and what he does, but it looks sort of thrown together like a high school memory scrapbook that sits inside a box buried in a pack rat's garage. My apologies to the graphic layout artists, or Dan, or Lynne, but I think it could have been done a little better. Hey, I might grow to like it, but that was just my initial reaction.

Anyway, it's what inside that counts, right? I am absolutely thrilled to find out which plants he discusses and I'm also stoked about the photography taken by Dan himself and, my friend, Lynne Harrison.

I guess part of this excitement stems from my experience of actually getting to explore with this renowned plantsman. In the fall of 2004, I had an opportunity to team up with Dan to collect seeds and plants in NE Sichuan Province. You can check out my journal and pics from the trip here.


On May 27, the Northwest Horticultural Society is holding a fundraiser that benefits the Miller Horticultural Library to launch Dan's new book.

There will be a silent auction (where I'll have a superb collection of plants up for bid), a BRAND SPANKIN' NEW lecture by Dan and, of course, a book signing.
Ooh ohh, there will be hors d'oeuvres and wine.

The event will be held at the UW Botanic Gardens - Center for Urban Horticulture. Tickets are $35, benefactor tickets are $200. For reservations email nwhort@aol.com or call Karin Kravitz at 206-780-8172

The library is really needing everyone's support at this time because of the major budget cuts all of UWBG has been forced to take.

This will be the first opportunity to look at and buy this book.

See you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment