Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The Next Generation Gardener in 10 years.

During my talk for the Hardy Plant Society of Washington on Monday (which went quite well and was a whole lot of fun sharing my stories and plants with the small group that was able to come), someone asked me a question at the end that, even though I've been asked the same question before, I never feel like I give "the best" answer.

"After all your travels, experiences and knowledge you've gained, where do you see yourself in 10 years?"

I gave my usual response about getting a masters, traveling and making my home base here in the Pacific Northwest and continuing to learn, yada yada yada. After driving home that night, I don't know if it was the torrential downpour of rain and the slight cold I was fighting, but I was thinking way too much about the subject and really asking myself about what's in store for me when I'm 36.

First off, who knows what the future will really bring. First and foremost, I aim to be in good health; physically and emotionally fit to continue pursuing my many interests and hobbies. Ideally, I'd like to have a significant other in my life who can help me get through the rough bumps and tumbles in life and provide that companionship I often long for when things get kind of crazy and I lose perspective on things.

You know what, I think she probably meant career wise; I have this "problem" of sharing too much at times, but I think it kind of goes to show how tightly knit things are in my life: one aspect of it is always closely related to or has a direct effect on another aspect.

When I got home, I drew up one of those Venn Diagrams to visually see the elements that make up my life currently and it was no surprised that PLANTS encompassed my entire professional sector and overlap into so many other areas. It made me ask several questions to myself:

Am I happy doing what I'm doing now and the direction I'm going? If so, is it enough to sustain a lifestyle that is both productive and comfortable?

So in 10 years, will this diagram look the same?

I think it's hard to say. My original response to that talk is pretty accurate as those are some main goals I've set for myself, but what the bigger picture will be then, who knows?

All I know now is I just have to keep working hard digging and planting and just seeing what grows and matures.

R

No comments:

Post a Comment