Monday, April 12, 2010

"Knowing the Spring" and the Seattle Chinese Garden

I recently paid a visit to the evolving Seattle Chinese Garden just North of the South Seattle Community College campus in West Seattle. Gardener, Aaron Skinner, showed me around the existing Song Mei Pavilion and the frame work of a new courtyard dubbed "Knowing the Spring". I've been commissioned to acquire and grow plants for the new courtyard and I've also helped them gather donations to enhance the plantings around Song Mei.

DSC02884 DSC02877

Here's a glimpse of the future courtyard that will bear Landwave's plants:

DSC02870

This is a remarkable undertaking and the head of the horticulture sub-committee, Jan Whitner, is ecstatic about the upcoming year as artisans from Chongqing and Sichuan will be arriving to work on the courtyard and planting may begin as early as this fall!

For more information about the garden and how you may be able to contribute, visit their website. They have a work party coming up on April 18th that should be fun and productive.

In fund-raising efforts for the first ever Sichuan style Chinese Garden outside of China, I contributed my time and Chinese-native plants for a container design to the highest bidder in an auction that took place last fall.

I think it turned out well:

Sichuan Plantings Container adjust Sichuan Plantings Container close up

5 comments:

  1. Very nice pot! What's the species of Adiantum you used?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, thanks! It looked so dainty that I didn't connect it to the potbound clump of leaves I finally got hold of last autumn. Is it very invasive in the garden, or more a well-behaved spreader? I'd prefer not to have another Vancouveria on my hands, even Roundup fails on that one...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a hard time getting it established because I always try it in difficult spots. Is Vancouveria a problem? wow? Gosh, I hope Epimediums don't become a problem!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so excited to see this! The Portland Chinese garden is one of my favorite in-city gardens I've ever visited. Wonderful that you get to help shape it!

    ReplyDelete